close
close

Voice News

CA News 2024

searchengine

American actor Kevin Spacey denies that new allegations have been broadcast in a British documentary

Hollywood actor Kevin Spacey has denied new allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior against men, ahead of the release next week of a British television documentary about their claims. Two-time Oscar winner Spacey, 64, who has been acquitted of sexual assault at trials in the United States and Britain, told British journalist Dan Wootton in an interview on social media that he would “no longer be speechless”. The documentary ‘Spacey Unmasked’ will be broadcast in Great Britain on Monday and Tuesday.

In it, ten men who are not involved in the British lawsuit involving Spacey accuse him of behaving inappropriately towards them. The alleged incidents took place between 1976 and 2013 and “involve what they describe as unwanted sexual conduct,” Spacey revealed in the interview, citing an email he received from the documentary makers. One of the alleged victims featured in it, former actor Ruari Cannon detailed his claims in the British newspaper i on Saturday, accusing Spacey of inappropriately touching him in 2013 when he was 21 years old.

But in his interview, the American actor denied illegal wrongdoing. “I take full responsibility for my past behavior and actions, but I cannot and will not take responsibility or apologize to anyone who has made things up about me or created exaggerated stories about me,” he told Wootton. “I’ve never told anyone that. If they do me sexual favors, I’ll help them with their career, never.” He added: ‘I’ve obviously been in contact with a number of men who thought they could progress in their careers by being in a relationship with me.

“But there was no conversation with me, it was all part of their plan, a plan that was always doomed to failure because I was not involved in the deal.” Wootton this year quit TV channel GB News, which drew comparisons to US channel Fox News for its right-wing populist agenda, and now broadcasts online, where he posted the interview.

Spacey’s once glittering career has been halted by the various sex crimes allegations, which first emerged in 2017 as part of the emerging #MeToo movement and which he has always denied. A British jury acquitted him of nine alleged sex offenses last year after a New York court dismissed a $40 million civil sexual misconduct lawsuit against him in 2022. Spacey told Wootton that he struggled to get work after the criminal proceedings ended, describing his experience as a “life sentence.” – AFP