close
close

Voice News

CA News 2024

searchengine

Kevin Spacey responds to claims of sexual assault by nine new victims

Kevin Spacey, photographed as he arrived at a London court in 2023 to attend a sexual assault trial, of which he was found not guilty on nine charges.
Carl Court/Getty Images

  • A new documentary about Kevin Spacey features previously unheard testimonies of sexual harassment.
  • “Spacey Unmasked,” which premieres in Britain on Monday, has prompted the actor to respond.
  • He took part in a lengthy interview with a British journalist, which was posted on X.

Kevin Spacey has exposed new allegations of sexual assault in a documentary airing in Britain.

‘Spacey Unmasked’ features testimonials from ten men – nine of whom have not previously come forward with their stories – who have accused the Hollywood actor of inappropriate behavior, from sexual harassment on the set of ‘House of Cards’ to masturbating in a cinema. during a screening of “Saving Private Ryan,” according to Rolling Stone.

The two-part documentary will be broadcast on the British broadcaster Channel 4 on the consecutive evenings of May 6 and 7. According to IndieWire, it will also be available to stream on Max after an acquisition by ID Network, although the date for that has not yet been announced. not yet announced.

In a 98-minute interview with British journalist Dan Wootton: Posted on X on FridaySpacey commented on the allegations made in the documentary.

The 64-year-old actor said he takes “full responsibility” for his past behavior and actions, which he characterized as “promiscuous” and “flirtatious,” but denied most of the new allegations.

“I cannot and will not take responsibility or apologize to anyone who has made things up about me or written exaggerated stories about me,” the two-time Oscar winner said.

Spacey admitted that he had made “awkward passes” to people in the past and suggested that some of the new allegations of inappropriate behavior may have stemmed from misunderstandings.

“Were there times where I flirted with people in their 20s who were involved in those programs? Yes,” he said. “Did I ever interact with another actor? Yes. Did I make a clumsy pass to someone who, it turned out, wasn’t interested? Yes.”

He added: “That may not have been the best decision and it’s not the decision I would make today. But it happened. It wasn’t illegal, and it was never said to have been illegal.”

In his response to one of the claims that he acted inappropriately after requesting a massage from an intern during the filming of 1999’s “The Big Kahuna,” Spacey appeared to confirm some of the accusations, saying, “Well, I have to say that this man’s story is striking. me much more in line with something I could have done.”

“So yes, I can accept the possibility of this so far,” he added.

For others, including claims from actors Ruari Cannon and Danny De Lillo, who waived their anonymity to give interviews about their experiences with Spacey to publications this weekend, Spacey denied any wrongdoing.

Kevin Spacey was best known for starring in the Netflix original series “House of Cards” in 2017, when allegations were first made against him.
Melinda Sue Gordon/AP

De Lillo, who spoke to British newspaper The Telegraph, has claimed that he encountered unwanted sexual behavior from Spacey during a performance at London’s Old Vic theater in 2007.

Cannon said in a piece for the i that the actor intimately touched him without consent in 2013 while he was at a press junket for a production at the same theater.

A representative for Spacey did not respond to a request for comment from Business Insider sent outside regular business hours.

The allegations against Spacey first arose after the #MeToo movement in 2017. In 2022, a New York jury sided with Spacey in a trial over allegations of sexual abuse by actor Anthony Rapp, who alleged that the actor assaulted him in a party in 1986 when he was 14 years old.

The following year, a court in London found Spacey not guilty of nine charges, including sexual assault, alleged to have been committed against four men between 2001 and 2013.

If you have survived a sexual assault, you can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline (1-800-656-4673) or visit its website for confidential support.